February 18, 2015

Blogging

Blogging. How I hate the word. However, with the content I create it's unfair to those in the actual journalistic field to call what I write "articles". I merely write what I think at any given time. Has it bitten me in the ass or will it bite me in the ass in the future?

Oh and by the way, I have no idea where this will go. Most likely, it's going to be stupid and self serving, but that's blogging for you.
Journalistic credibility relies on trustworthiness and expertise, both wildly subjective. However when I write for a site other than my own I either feel compelled to embellish my eccentricities or back way off from what I really feel about any given topic making blogging kind of a chore (the whole "I shouldn't say that" here type of thing). It's obvious that I can't write puff pieces anymore even if someone is dumb enough to pay me upwards of $1,000 for 500 words that I can come up with in a drunken stupor over 30 minutes. That isn't me and I don't want to write about "Closing your fucking blinds in a video chat" anymore. Now will I shut my pie hole and write a puff piece if someone throws another stupidly high offer on the table? I may, who the hell knows? But what I will say is that I've never endorsed a product or service for pay, nor written anything that's meant to be a paid commercial. That's a line I won't cross. Plus, I don't think anyone is stupid enough out there to give me their product and let me do a complete, unbiased, unedited review of it. What I use in daily business is used because the product is great in my subjective opinion. That's about it. Be it Zoom for video chats or Plantronics for their Voyager Legend or anything else, I use them because they are great. I doubt anyone would ever give me a PTZ camera....

It's harder now that I've (at least temporarily) closed the doors on my consulting practice in favor of an exclusive deal. But I don't want every Tweet or blog post I write to be read by someone who says "He HAS to say that, look who he is working for." That isn't me either. I guess it's lucky that I'm working on a project that I believe in and I've been given the blessing to continue writing what I want and how I want to. It's just that I lack the time to write anything worth the bother of uploading.

In the end, I do hope to be writing more, but for time reasons I really can't do too many product reviews anymore (which I love to do). What I would like to do is take real world use cases and describe what could be done to better the experience. I see people every day (every day) doing stupid shit in video conferencing and wasting loads of money in the process, yet I don't want to write something that will look like a sales pitch for who I am working for.

Remember, all I want is for every video conference to be a quality experience regardless of product used. That should be everyone's goal in the industry and if it's not please go away.

So that's about it. Agree/Disagree? Write some words down.

Thanks and follow me on Twitter @bryanhellard

No comments:

Post a Comment